Shine on you crazy diamond
Dreams are crazy things. I don’t know about you but I keep a dream diary. My dreams are so vivid that sometimes I wonder if I’m living this life – or living life in an alternate universe and this is the dream.
I occasionally read about people who create books and art and music based on their dreams. I’ve put a few below that I’ve plucked off the top of my head (please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong or add any famous ones I’ve left out).
- Sting dreamed of blue turtles and named his first album Dream of the Blue Turtles
- Paul McCartney’s song Yesterday came from a dream
- Mary Shelley dreamed of Frankenstein
- Robert Louis Stevenson dreamed of the Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
- Stephen King dreamed of woman who held a writer prisoner – hence Misery
And the list goes on…
I’m certainly not in the same league as the people above, but most of my stories come from dreams.
I wrote The Everything Theory after a dream where I found a diamond in the desert that turned into a book with strange symbols on the cover. When I opened the book it only contained five words – find out what it means.
I wrote The Eleventh Question after a dream where a man kept asking me a question and telling me I had to remember it. He even made me write the question in the sand with a stick so I would remember. When I woke up I couldn’t remember it!!! (Good grief – that was annoying!)
But I’m not going to take up this entire post with my weird dreams. I want to know if you have been inspired by dreams – and if you have any thoughts on what they might actually mean.